Thyroid disorders: Symptoms & Diagnosis
Thyroid is one of the most common endocrine disorders prevalent across the world and it is on the rise in India. Thyroid is a gland located in the neck that produces hormones responsible for regulating metabolism, growth, and development.
Thyroid disorders can be broadly divided into two categories:
1.Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)
- Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid):
Symptoms for Hypothyroidism
- Fatigue and weakness
- Weight gain or difficulty losing weight
- Cold intolerance
- Dry skin and hair
- Muscle aches and stiffness
- Elevated cholesterol levels
- Menstrual irregularities
Symptoms for Hyperthyroidism
- Weight loss despite increased appetite
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
- Heat intolerance
- Nervousness and irritability
- Tremors or shaking hands
- Increased sweating
- Difficulty sleeping
- Frequent bowel movements or diarrhea
- Changes in menstrual patterns
- Goiter (enlarged thyroid gland):
- Visible swelling or lump in the neck
- Hoarseness or voice changes
- Difficulty swallowing or breathing (in severe cases)
Thyroid disorder can be diagnosed using:
Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) test: Measures the level of TSH, which is produced by the pituitary gland to stimulate thyroid hormone production. Abnormal TSH levels can indicate hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism.
Free thyroxine (T4) test: Measures the level of the active thyroid hormone T4. Abnormal T4 levels can provide further insights into thyroid function.
Thyroid peroxidase antibody (TPOAb) test: Detects antibodies that may be present in autoimmune thyroid conditions such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis.
Thyroglobulin antibody (TgAb) test: Detects antibodies that may be associated with thyroid cancer or other thyroid disorders.
These tests, along with a comprehensive evaluation of the individual’s symptoms and medical history, aid in diagnosing thyroid disorders and determining the appropriate treatment plan.
If you are experiencing any of the above mentioned symptoms, book an appointment now for thyroid profile/TSH test now. We have a same day appointment. Our skilled healthcare professionals will reach your doorstep to collect blood samples.